KwaZulu-Natal, Kingdom of the Zulu, is a province in South Africa filled with sunshine, wildlife and historical battlefields
KwaZulu-Natal is set on the southeast of South Africa and offers a stunning holiday for a range of travellers! The province is multi-cultural with plenty to see and do – from battlefields, game reserves, the mighty Drakensberg Mountain Range, adventure activities and the golden-sand beaches of Durban, the province is sure to enthral. KwaZulu-Natal is also one of the only destinations in South Africa to have permanent sunny weather, making it number one on your list of summer holiday getaways!
Reasons to visit KwaZulu-Natal:
- The province has a rich culture and heritage – the Zulu tribe were found in the area, and slaves from India were brought to Durban in the 1800s. Both these cultures feature heavily in the demographics, and the atmosphere in the province
- The famous Zulu warrior king Sigidi kaSenzangakhona, known as Shaka Zulu, lived between the Drakensberg and the Indian Ocean. He reigned for 10 years, and his many conquests, as well as his tall, strong and athletic built has made him a legend in KwaZulu-Natal
- The province has plenty of historical battlefields between Shaka Zulu’s warriors and other tribes, as well as the Anglo Zulu War
- Durban is the third largest city in South Africa and is home to the country’s busiest port. The city offers world-class entertainment, including uShaka Marine World, a water-park/aquarium, stunning beaches, 5-Star accommodation and one of the most beautiful stretch of coast in South Africa
- The Hluhluwe Game Reserve, the oldest reserve in South Africa, is a must-visit for a truly fantastic African safari experience. The game reserve is home to the Big 5 and offers stunning safari accommodation, as well as unique packages, including visits to nearby St Lucia and Zululand
When at the heart of the Zulu Kingdom it means that you can experience an incredible number of cultural activities at various places such as Shakaland and Dumazulu. You will discover all the interesting aspects of Zulu songs, dances, foods, hospitality, weddings and traditional medicine shops. Melmoth is the birthplace of the legendary King Shaka and is known as the Valley of the Kings, while in the Emakhosini Valley you can visit the site of several Zulu kings’ graves.
recommended to anyone interested in the history of the country. The route comprises of the largest concentration of sites relating to the significant battles and wars that took place here over 70 years ago, and includes many historical buildings, museums, graveyards, memorials and actual battle site locations. Along the way you can also visit numerous nature reserves and Zulu cultural villages or engage in some water-based activities such as white-water rafting or sailing.
Flora & Fauna
Hulhulwe-iMfolozi National Park, which is the oldest national park in Africa has the largest population of white rhino in the world and plays a major part in this animal’s survival. The Isimangaliso Wetland Park supports a greater number of animal species than the famous Kruger National Park, and is found on the beautiful Elephant Coast. In all there are over one hundred nature and game reserves in KwaZulu-Natal, and all boast amazing scenery and spectacular South African wildlife.
Midlands Drakensberg Mountains
perhaps the most picturesque area in South Africa. Charming towns, stretches of farmland, waterfalls, lakes, hills, green pastures and forests are what you will find between the coastline and the Drakensberg Mountains. The area comprises of several scenic nature reserves ideal for hikes and picnics, as well as beautiful towns with quaint coffee shops and restaurants and the chance to explore arts and crafts galore. There are wonderful golf courses, horse-riding trails and animal and bird sanctuaries, as well as cheese farms that welcome guests to sample their produce.
Whether you’re looking for luxury sojourn or a laid-back getaway with affordable accommodation, we can make it happen!
Once we have all your information and understand the vision for your holiday, we’ll start planning your trip.
With all your plans in place, all you need to do is pack your bags, hop on a plane and travel over land and sea to your destination of choice!