Experience the historic land King Shaka once hunted on, where rhinos roam and the rest of the Big 5 call home – the Hluhluwe Game Reserve
Hluhluwe Game Reserve, set in Zululand, KwaZulu-Natal, is one of South Africa’s premier safari getaways. Hluhluwe is the oldest game reserve in South Africa and is well-known for its conservation, particularly that of the white rhino, and stellar Big 5 game viewing opportunities. Just north from Durban, South Africa’s busiest port, Hluhluwe is not as isolated as most game reserves, but still provides a wonderful break from the city. The reserve stretches over 96 000 hectares with a stunning range of wildlife and plantlife. Travellers can expect luxury safari accommodation, promising the utmost comfort. For an adventure every safari-enthusiast should have, visit the historic Hluhluwe Game Reserve.
Hluhluwe Fast Facts:
- Hluhluwe was once an ancient hunting ground used by famed Zulu king, Shaka Zulu
- Hluhluwe is a low risk malaria area
- The reserve boasts some of Africa’s favourite animals, including the Big 5, and a considerably large white rhino population. Other, more elusive wildlife found in the reserve include wild dog, cheetah, nyala, zebra, giraffe and a selection of buck species
- St Lucia is located near Hluhluwe and offers a different angle to an ordinary safari. The water-based safari provides travellers with the chance to see some magnificent hippos in abundance as well as crocodiles, who lurk in the waters and prove to be a thrilling sight when spotted
- Experts agree that the best time to visit the Hluhluwe Game Reserve is in the autumn months of March and April when it is cooler than the peak of summer and there is less rain
- Activities include game drives, guided bush walks, water-based safaris, and picnics in a number of designated picnic areas around the reserve
Whether you’re looking for luxury sojourn or a laid-back getaway with affordable accommodation, we can make it happen!
Once we have all your information and understand the vision for your holiday, we’ll start planning your trip.
With all your plans in place, all you need to do is pack your bags, hop on a plane and travel over land and sea to your destination of choice!