The Garden Route makes for the perfect road-trip adventure for a range of travellers!
The Garden Route* is a beautiful coastal stretch of land from the Western Cape to the Eastern Cape of South Africa. The route is one of the most beautiful areas of South Africa, with lush forestry, mountains, and pristine coastland. The route also interlinks a number of charming towns that offer luxury accommodation, trendy restaurants, adventure activities and stunning sights. From the busy city of Cape Town, to the quiet and tranquil town of Knysna and the whale-watching haven of Hermanus, to Mossel Bay, George, the beach towns of Plettenberg Bay and Wilderness, right down to Port Elizabeth, the Friendly City, where a beach and safari holiday can be enjoyed, the Garden Route promises a worthwhile getaway for all! Explore a different side of South Africa with East Cape Tours.
*Although technically the Garden Route is from Mossel Bay to Storms River, East Cape Tours have unofficially extended it, including the bustling cities of Cape Town and Port Elizabeth
Garden Route Highlights:
- The Addo Elephant Park, located just outside of Port Elizabeth, is the home of over 600 African Elephants. Addo is also the only place where the Big 7 (elephant, rhino, leopard, buffalo, lion, southern right whale and great white shark) can be found in their natural habitat
- Adrenalin Addo offers a wide range of adventure activities including canopy tours, Africa’s longest double zip-line, and white river rafting
- Travellers are in for a treat in Plett – besides the beautiful beaches, Plett also has Monkeyland Primate Sanctuary, where an array of monkeys and lemurs can be seen, as well as Radical Raptors, where you can interact with some magnificent birds of prey
- Wilderness has some of the best beaches South Africa has to offer, with golden sand and the warm Indian Ocean
- Hermanus is the whale-watching capital of South Africa – pods of southern right whales can often be seen on the shores of the seaside town
- The Cape Winelands, in particular Franschhoek and Stellenbosch, are excellent for wine tasting. The Wine Tram in Franschhoek is a fun, and romantic, activity
Mossel Bay offers travellers the perfect blend of rich history and thrilling activities on the coast. The seaside town is known for its beautiful beaches, hiking trails and delicious seafood, and it is a paradise for beach lovers and outdoor enthusiasts.
Knysna is a wonderful coastal town boasting tranquil blue waters and a breathtaking lagoon all surrounded by a lush forest and the Outeniqua Mountains. Knysna is a prime stop on any Garden Route tour with the Knysna Heads, two sea-cliffs, taking center stage. The town is also known for the annual Oyster Festival, as well as a variety of restaurants offering fine dining, pubs, and luxury accommodation.
Plettenberg Bay is a beautiful stretch of land along the coast between Port Elizabeth and Cape Town. The town hosts plenty of fantastic activities for adventurers to enjoy, including water sports, hikes and visiting Monkeyland, as well as the largest bird sanctuary in the world. Plettenberg Bay is a wonderful destination for those wanting a beach getaway, as well as families.
Tsitsikamma is a protected area of land along the Garden Route. The forested coastal reserve promises breath-taking beauty and plenty of exciting adventures to be experienced within it. Forest hikes, kayaking and the ever-popular canopy tours can all be enjoyed in Tsitsikamma. A few nights in the area is ideal for nature lovers, birdwatchers and for those who enjoy a solid adrenaline rush.
Garden Route Accommodation
Our guest houses and boutique hotels boast bedrooms with incredible views, swimming pools and spas. Some of the most thrilling activities can be enjoyed at these hotels and lodges. These include nature trails, canopy tours and boat cruises. Tsala Treetop Lodge is a prime spot for a forest getaway, while Views Boutique Hotel and Spa is ideal for travellers seeking opulence. You’ll enjoy a 5-Star holiday at both of these accommodations, and plenty of others! All of our hotels and lodges offer a good base from which to explore the Garden Route. As a result, you’ll see everything that this spectacular route has to offer.
Whether you’re looking for luxury sojourn or a laid-back holiday with affordable accommodation, we can make it happen!
Once we have all your information and understand the vision for your holiday, we’ll start planning your trip.
With all your plans in place, all you need to do is pack your bags, hop on a plane and travel over land and sea to your destination of choice!