Regardless of whether or not you have a particular interest in history, you are bound to find the older buildings and museums in Windhoek fascinating.
In Namibia, Windhoek is often where it all begins! The tours to see unique Namibian landscapes, the country’s national parks, beautiful game farms and many other spectacular areas. The city itself also boasts many choices for accommodation, plenty of great food and entertainment venues and a surprising number of interesting historical locations. Windhoek is the ideal place to start your Namibian adventure.
The attractive city of Windhoek is located in the geographical centre of Namibia on the Khomas Highland Plateau, approximately 1,700 metres above sea level. To the north of the city is the popular area of Otjiwaraongo and the amazing Etosha National Park that features the enormous Etosha Salt Pan and an abundance of wildlife, while to the west are the coastal cities of Swakopmund and Walvis Bay, two places highly frequented by Namibian visitors.
Reasons to visit Windhoek:
- Windhoek is known to be one of the cleanest, safest and best planned cities in Africa.
- Windhoek was founded in the 1890’s by German soldiers and examples of German architecture are still prominent in the city.
- Its name means ‘windy corner’ in Afrikaans, and may have originated from the Winterhoek Mountains near Tulbagh, South Africa.
- Windhoek is a major trade centre of the world for Karakul sheep skins.
- The largest meteorite shower on earth occurred in Namibia 80,000 years ago and pieces of the largest Hoba meteorite can be found in downtown Windhoek.
- Popular attractions in Windhoek include township tours to Katutura, the three Windhoek castles, the National Museum in Alte Feste Fort and the Christuskirche (Christ Church).
- The Christuskirche is one of Windhoek’s most well-known landmarks.
Whether you’re looking for luxury sojourn or a laid-back getaway with affordable accommodation, we can make it happen!
Once we have all your information and understand the vision for your holiday, we’ll start planning your trip.
With all your plans in place, all you need to do is pack your bags, hop on a plane and travel over land and sea to your destination of choice!